Reply To: antiX-26. Bugs, known issues and fixes

Forum › Forums › Official Releases › antiX-26 “Stephen Kapos” › antiX-26. Bugs, known issues and fixes › Reply To: antiX-26. Bugs, known issues and fixes

#200246
Brian Masinick
Moderator

    I would follow the advice from @anticapitalista and install the kernel that works best on that Macbook.

    I’m in general agreement about that.

    As far as my own observations, and I’ll state right off the bat that I do not have any Mac or other Apple-based systems in my collection, all of my systems have run both old and new kernels. Given the increase in the use of Rust source code in the Linux kernels (historically almost all kernel code was written in the C language), I am more cautious about using newer kernels on my older systems. My Dell Inspiron 5558 has been really good about handling many different kernels; the ONLY series it has ever had problems with was the 5.10 series, but that was a long time ago; the maintained 5.10 kernels now work fine there, as have many Version 4, 5, and 6 series kernels.

    My Lenovo Thinkpad X201 is the one system I’m very leery of running with Rust code because it already tends to run hot; my much newer Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 3 also heats up, but it’s fan does kick in before any dangerous levels of heat emerge and it gets back in a reasonable temperature range quickly.

    Therefore from my experiences I watch module support – that has not become an issue with any kernels – and heat – that’s been my main concern.

    DIFFERENT hardware may encounter different areas of concern. For instance, a few people have been experiencing recent issues with Connman/CMST, whereas for me, the changes that the Connman updates have had on the systems I use have IMPROVED the reliability of Connman. This is another example where some changes improve support for some brands and models of various components, and lessen or eliminate the support for other brands and models; the ones that generally get less support are either old or rarely mentioned models, though that’s a generalization; some errors or defects can affect any brand or model.

    For those experiencing issues, please share those problems as soon as possible, and if your hardware is not working where it worked in the past, make sure to include a detailed information report that includes the specifications of the components that experience the reported issue(s).

    You can attach the reports, but if you have trouble attaching them, save the information in a file, then use a text editor capable of copying the contents, then paste the text contents into your report. There’s always a way around the fickle forum attachment matters!

    --
    Brian Masinick
    Alternate "Search B":
    This search page